Shadybrook Trustee Job Description and Expectations
Purpose: To advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of Shadybrook to support the organization’s mission and needs.
Mission or purpose statement: Spiritual exploration and lifelong learning in a diverse and welcoming community
- Organizational leadership and advisement
- Formulation and oversight of policies and procedures
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation
- Personnel evaluation and staff development
- Review of organizational and programmatic reports
- Promotion of the organization
- Fundraising and outreach
*Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of Shadybrook.
Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
Length of term: A typical term of service as a board member is two years, which may be renewed for consecutive terms, pending nomination by the Nominating Committee and re-election by the members of Shadybrook.
Meetings and time commitment:
- The Board of Trustees meets the first Wednesday of every month from 6:30- 8:30 p.m. online.
- Committees of the board meet as needed depending their respective work agenda.
- Board members are encouraged to attend and participate in special events or programs as often as time and interest permit.
Board Member Duties
- Attend and participate in board meetings on a regular basis including special events and programs.
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by Shadybrook’s mission, objectives, and programs.
- Recommend and assist in recruiting instructors and programs for Shadybrook
- Help communicate and promote Shadybrook’s mission and programs to the community at large.
- Become familiar with Shadybrook’s finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Be responsible for financial functioning and financial welfare of the organization.
- Understand the policies and procedures of Shadybrook.
- Serve on committees or task forces and offer to take on special assignments.
- Support Shadybrook financially with a personal annual charitable donation
- Become a member, if not one already, and maintain up-to-date membership in Shadybrook.
Your support, whether a donation of funds, skills, or service is deeply appreciated. Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Shadybrook! Together, we can be a powerful force for positive change.
To discuss how you can contribute, have fun, and make a difference, please contact us below.